Life Updates,  Miscarriage,  Pregnancy

My D&C Part 3: The Surgery

This is Part 3 of my D&C story. You can read Part 1 here, and Part 2 here.

Once the consent forms were signed, everything went by so quickly. I was moved into a different part of the hospital where they began to prepare me for the surgery. They put in an IV, and hooked me up to some monitors. I honestly don’t even know everything that they were doing. Several people came around asking me questions about allergies, my blood type, etc., and explaining the different things that were going to happen. Two different anesthesiologists gave me the rundown on what they would be doing.

My husband was able to be with me this whole time, and I was thankful for that. Still, we weren’t able to talk much because of everything that was going on. I was starting to get really nervous, as I’d never been put under general anesthesia or had surgery (as an adult–I had surgery as a baby, but clearly I don’t remember that). My husband seemed a bit nervous, too. Neither of us were really worried, though–we knew this was the right decision.

I don’t know who, but I heard someone say that they moved around a few things to get me into surgery sooner. When all of the prep began it was around 10AM–just minutes after I signed the paperwork. I knew it wouldn’t be long until I was taken to the operating room, but I had no idea how soon. Suddenly, my husband was being escorted to the waiting room, and I was being wheeled in opposite direction. We didn’t get to say goodbye, and I got really nervous. It was all I could do to keep from crying on the way to the OR.

Passing through the doorway, I focused on the ceiling. I thought of how similar it looked to the operating rooms on Grey’s Anatomy. There were three people in the room with me, all of them very young. I had to move myself over onto the bed, which struck me as odd. I mean, it makes sense, but I guess I never thought about the details of getting a person onto the operating table. As I scooted from my bed to the table, I noticed the stirrups. The nurse started hooking me up to an IV and reattaching all of my wires to the monitors. I was given an oxygen mask, and wondered when they’d do the countdown to put me to sleep. The nurse injected something into my IV, and I noticed that the air in the mask smelled differently. My eyes got really heavy, but no one counted down.

The next thing I remember is waking up in the same room I’d been prepped in. The nurses around me were talking about a new Asian-fusion restaurant that had opened up in town. I wanted to ask them if they had good sushi, but I didn’t have the energy to open my eyes, let alone speak. One nurse started tending to me, and after removing my oxygen mask, asked how I was feeling. My throat was very sore from the breathing tube, so she got me some ice chips. I sat there, tangled in wires leading to who knows what, crunching on the ice, thinking about how that was the best nap ever.

I started wondering how they put me back in the bed. When I asked, the nurse said that I’d been moved a few times since the surgery. I thought it was weird that people were moving my body while I was unconscious. I wondered what everyone in the OR talked about during my surgery. Were they respectful? I didn’t shave my legs–I hope no one cared. I wondered if they saw my baby. If they did, were they sad? A nurse finally let me know that everything went well, and that the doctor did a “really good job clearing everything out”. I was so relieved.

As I became more alert, the first thing I noticed is that I had no pain, no pressure, and no cramps. I felt amazing. I never imagined that I’d feel so good after surgery. I’m sure it had a lot to do with the residual anesthesia and painkillers, but anything was better than the pain I’d had coming into the hospital. A nurse came over to check how much bleeding I was having, which wasn’t a lot. By now it was 12:30PM, but the nurse said the surgery only took 40 minutes. I wondered how long I’d been sleeping.


Soon I was taken to a recovery room, and settled in there. The nurse I had in this room was visibly pregnant. I noticed that it didn’t bother me, though. All I could think is how I don’t want to be pregnant again anytime soon. It wasn’t long before my husband was brought in to me, and I was so happy to see him. He said that the doctor had come out to talk to him after the surgery, and let him know that everything went great. My husband said it had been awhile since then, so I’m guessing it took me awhile to wake up after surgery. It was comforting to know that my husband wasn’t worrying all that time. Plus he had his mother in the waiting room with him.

The nurse offered us both drinks, and I though that was so kind of her to think of my husband as well. Eventually, I was able to go to the bathroom, and I was surprised at how little I was bleeding. After I came back to the room, the nurse brought me some warm water and towels to clean myself up with. There were also mesh underwear (which are magical) and the most giant pads I’d ever seen in my life (which make a swishing sound when you walk). I didn’t care. I felt pretty good, and I was able to get dressed while my husband brought the car around. Around 1:30PM I was put into our car, and we were finally on our way home.

Read Part 4